Wednesday, December 31, 2014

My Financial (major) Duty


While I was in undergrad, my major was Accounting. I chose this as my major, because in high school, I took an Intro. to Accounting class, and found it to be my passion. As I reflected on my life today, I even noticed that I write more of numbers then letters, (after analyzing my handwriting).

In the past, I had participating in the Stock Market, and purchased a couple of stocks with a friend, and was able to make a nice profit. After some odd circumstances, we had to sell our shares at a loss, resulting in a little more then a $1,000 loss. Some may think that a $1,000 is not a lot of money, but to me, losing any amount of money grater then $50 is a heartache for me.

This past month of December, I decided to purchase some more shares, this time on my own. The first, metal company; the second in an energy company. Currently I am in the red, so much for diversification. (side note: I don't like the theory of diversification, I feel it just decreases the amount of loss, but you still lose.)

To summarize things up, it took me a while to make such an independent move towards adulthood. I am very proud of myself for taking on this experience by myself. Although it happen at the very last moment of 2014, I feel that purchasing stocks on my own, is one of the top five most proudest moments of 2014. I also felt that since I went to school for accounting and finance, I should put my education to practice.

Hopefully I will keep you guys updated about my portfolio and maybe bring some financial advice/enlightenment for you.

No comments:

Post a Comment