Monday, December 29, 2014

New Christmas Mixer

This Christmas, I received my first KitchenAid Mixer, and I was super excited to use this bad boy. I have always been eyeing for one, but could never justify the purchase. I love baking, but often find myself ruining a simple batch of cookies. Whenever I am board, I will look up different types of recipes on Pinterest.
( http://www.pinterest.com/gwennguyen/yum/ ) Since receiving this new mixer, I have tired this new Brookies, half brownie and half chocolate chip cookie, recipe. I only made the brownie cookie batter, because I couldn't deal with messing up another chocolate chip cookie recipe, it would be too soon.

Link for the recipe: http://www.melskitchencafe.com/brookies/

I had to prop my mixer on a chair because 
I ran out of room in the kitchen. 

Some things that I changed from the recipe:
  • I only used one egg
  • Didn't use 1/2 cup unsweetened natural cocoa powder, instead used hot chocolate mix and some Hershey chocolate syrup
  • Only used half a teaspoon of baking soda
The sugar and butter

The final product

I used a small ice cream scoop to make small dough balls and I kept the dough in the refrigerator in between batches. The cookies flattened out into a beautiful (perfect) circle! Some things I would change, maybe less sugar, because all of the sugar did not dissolve away. Possibly more flour to make it a little thicker and chewier? Also the hot chocolate mix was a great substitute if you don't have any cocoa powered on hand. 

2nd recipe
Waffle Doughnuts (http://deliciouslyyum.com/real-deal-waffle-donuts/)
Great Christmas morning treat, you can also make a waffle buffet with different fixings like chocolate, fruit, or sprinkles.

Some things I changed: 

  • substituted about 2 teaspoons of white sugar for brown sugar
  • check the consistency of the batter, I had to add an extra spoonful of flour
Other than that, the waffles where wonderful and no need for extra syrup. 

Sorry I didn't have any pictures, it was a last minute addition to the post. 

No comments:

Post a Comment